Saturday, August 21, 2010

Kindergarten- wk. 1

Sorry I have been MIA this week. School officially started back on Monday and it will take me a while to get back into the swing of things. Mackaylan, on the other hand, has been up every morning and ready to go by 7:00 am. I thought she would be tired in the afternoons, but she is wide open until about 8:00 pm. A few nights this week she did ask to go to bed. Whoa! Anyway, here are a few things she learned this week:

1- Parts of a book- We got tickled because she was telling us all about the parts of the book and she said: "This is the 'skine' of the book. It holds the pages together."

2- oo- She was introduced to the "oo sisters." She told us all about how they can make different sounds depending on if they are in the word "book" or "too." That night we were reading Little Red Riding Hood when she jumped up, ran and grabbed a crayon, and began to color over the words that had -oo- in them. Why? Because that's what Mrs. Gramling does! (BTW- We did talk about how she could do that with a personal book, but not the books at school or from the library.)

3- R-E-D Song- R-E-D red. R-E-D red. I can spell red. I can spell red. Firetrucks are red. Stop signs are red too. R-E-D. R-E-D. Friday was "Red Day" and each child could bring something for Show-and-Tell that was red. Mackaylan took a stuffed bird- a Cardinal, of course!

4- Journal- She was thrilled that yesterday she got to write in her very own journal! She said she wrote about hearts.

What did I learn this week? I learned that I am slowly moving into 2nd place. Wednesday night we were sitting at the table playing with her bead kit making jewelry. Mackaylan looked up at me and said, "Mom, I think I am going to give this necklace to someone who is very sweet and nice." Well, being the mom that I am, I thought, "Oh, that is so sweet. She is going to give that necklace to me to wear to school tomorrow." WRONG! She then went on to say, " I am going to give this necklace to Mrs. Gramling!" Let me tell you, that put me in my place. haha It did hurt a little, but I am so happy that she is in love with school and her teacher. Just another prayer answered.......

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Darlene said...

Hi Lana,

It sounds like the first week of school was GREAT! It is so fabulous that Mackaylan loves it. Makes it much easier.

Lexi's first 3 days went well too. They haven't done much....I bet they start in full swing on Monday. She did actually have homework she brought home Friday. YIKES, I'm not ready for all that!